Dignowity Hill/San Antonio
Constructed between 1909 through 1957, the six-building Merchant’s Ice and Cold Storage Company Complex covers five acres in San Antonio’s bourgeoning Eastside and was once the second largest refrigerated facility in Texas.
Douglas Architects, along with its team of consultants, has assessed, planned, and designed a 63,000 sq.ft. state-of-the-art adaptive reuse facility which will include street level retail, offices, and roof terraces. In addition, as a historic landmark building, the design is responsive to city, state and federal historic tax credits requirements.
The design includes a new mass-timber and glass addition at the north elevation, which contains conference and amenity spaces, along with a ground floor entry court. Interior spaces remain true to the simple industrial character with complementary lighting and wall treatments.
The facility is part of the larger Merchant’s Ice Complex, and will be an integrated live, work, play, and create campus, serving as the city’s premier hub for life sciences, biotech, emerging technologies, and like-minded entrepreneurs.