New Braunfels, Texas
Located on East San Antonio Street in downtown New Braunfels, this all-concrete mill building was built by Wilhelm Merriwether in 1887 and sold to Joseph Landa in 1899. Joseph Landa’s son, Harry Landa, operated the mill until 1930, when he sold it to Hippolyite Dittlinger to operate as a roller mill. The mill used a one-of-a-kind drive system designed by Mr. Dittlinger, using the Comal River as the power source. It was renamed Dittlinger Roller Mill. More recently the building has served as business offices for ADM Milling.
In 2019, Douglas Architects was hired by ESA Partners to assess the building and design an adaptive mixed-use concept for the property to include retail and possible office uses. The design approach embraces the historic character and enhances the lower-level value with the introduction of outdoor terraces.