Dedicated to embracing the San Antonio’s Mission Reach Redevelopment and turning a physical liability into a community asset, CPS Energy appointed Douglas Architects, Inc. to prepare a comprehensive development plan for the region’s oldest decommissioned power plant. The CPS Energy Power Plant is a 250,000 s.f. historic structure dating from the 1920’s. This adaptive reuse project envisions a commercial, mixed-use residential redevelopment designed to meet the needs of the community and preserve a part of San Antonio’s past, while creating a new life for the existing buildings.
Douglas Architects, Inc. provided feasibility study and master planning services for this project. The team was charged with devising a market-driven development concept that would limit the financial risk and obligation of the client, thus turning a current liability into a community asset.
The firm also worked with City officials, CPS Energy management and the public on a series of meetings, interviews and site tours to inform those interested in the future development of the site, and get their opinions to present to CPS Energy.